Thursday 16 February 2012

Reflection 1: Pierre Bourdieu's "Cultural Capital" in My Life


Pierre Bourdieu is a French sociologist who introduced the sociological concept of cultural capital in his work, which has since been examined by other sociologists. Roy Nash(1990) describes Bourdieu's cultural capital as social assets transferred within a culture that are seen as worthy to produce power and status. Nash emphasizes that Bourdieu views the school as the most important site for the reproduction of social classes through the transmission of cultural capital (Nash,1990). Class-based cultural capital has impacted my own education in ways such as the high expectations of my parents, the availability of educational resources and materials, and the personal embodiment of valued personal characteristics and attitudes.
        
Cultural capital can be embodied as a disposition learned and passed on to ensure success in the next generation. My parents taught me to portray the qualities they have felt generate success in their own lives. Personal characteristics instilled upon myself by my middle-class parents included always using manners and being polite. I was rewarded for asking questions and being curious. Quiet activities such as puzzles and reading were also encouraged. I was taught to be clean and organized, to follow directions and to not question the authority of my parents. These obedient personality characteristics gave me an edge even in my first year of school as I was better prepared for the long day of sitting quietly and listening to the teacher’s instructions than most children. I noticed the other children who lived in my subdivision were also prepared as I was, yet the children from lower class families were less prepared in terms of not having learnt the basic material, having a lower attention span, and trouble following rules. The teacher was frequently addressing their mistakes and bad behaviour. However, she responded positively to my positive attitude and eagerness to learn which encouraged me even further to try my best and succeed. These characteristics have helped me throughout my education thus far in gaining positive responses from professors, in being respected by fellow students, and in my ability to concentrate and learn material.
         Learning material with the aide of educational materials and resources has been a beneficial way that class-based cultural capital has impacted my education. I was always prepared for my classes, whether that meant having the right school supplies, the right textbook, or the right tutor. My family could afford to provide these things for me so that I did not have to worry about financial matters and could concentrate on my learning. I can’t imagine how difficult it would be to learn in a classroom when your family could not afford to buy you the supplies you needed to do what the other kids were doing. Also the psychological issues of not having the material objects that other kids did, the shame and embarrassment, could cause a child from a lower-class family to dislike school, stop trying, and potentially quit. To have to worry about money or if you are going to eat tonight would take my attention away from my studies as well. One of the resources available to me as a middle-class child, was help. My university-educated parents were available to assist in my homework if necessary, and if they couldn’t help, a tutor was an option. With less financial assets to buy supplies, the child may not have the necessary  tools he needs to learn new skills. In families where the parents have less education than the child, the child may not have the support systems he needs to assist him, or the parents may not place much emphasis on the child’s education.
Another way that class-based cultural capital has impacted my education is through the higher expectations of my middle-class family. The expectations my parents held, motivated me to follow their path to success, and quitting was not an option. My parents expected me to go to university. There was no question in my house or neighborhood that graduating high school with good grades led to university and that graduation of university led to a “real” job, respect, and financial security. Due to these expectations, I studied hard through high school to get good marks so I could attend university and become someone powerful. It was in high school that I learned that not everyone’s parents expected these accomplishments of their children. I remember asking this boy in my class where he was going to university, to which he replied, “I’m not”. I asked why and he said, “because I’m getting a job”. The expectations of his single mother making minimum wage was that he would graduate high school and get a stable job so he could help with bills and taking care of the family. This translated into him trying only hard enough to pass his courses because after graduation, his grades would not matter or help him in his life path. I’ve realized that these expectations my parents have for me have caused me to excel and ultimately, as Bourdieu emphasized, move toward success and power.
The class-based cultural capital transmitted to me by my parents in the form of their high expectations, resource and material availability, and personal characteristics and values encouraged have affected my educational development by allowing me to be successful within the school system that recognizes these assets and further encourages my academic development. Whereas children who have not been exposed to these privileges are expected to be on the same level, creating inequality within the school system where higher classes are more successful.

References
Nash, R. (1990). Bourdieu on Education and Social and Cultural Reproduction.
British Journal Of Sociology Of Education, 11(4), 431-447.

1 comment:

  1. well,.. i am a socialogy student and i found some great information and sociological concept of cultural capital by his work. it is really nice to know about his work. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete